Date:	Sat, 29 Jul 2006 11:54:43 -0700
From:	"Handle X" <xhandle@...il.com>
To:	"Jesper Juhl" <jesper.juhl@...il.com>
Cc:	"Brian D. McGrew" <brian@...ionpro.com>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Building the kernel on an SMP box?

On 7/29/06, Jesper Juhl <jesper.juhl@...il.com> wrote:
> On 27/07/06, Brian D. McGrew <brian@...ionpro.com> wrote:
> > Good morning all!
> > reasonable configuration to get my builds down under five minutes or so?
I got a (moderately old) Sun V20z with 2 Opteron 2.2 GHz with 7G ram.
My numbers are comparable with yours. (I don't know if they are on the
lower side for such a h/w configuration)

> My box builds my ordinary .config (attached) in under 5min :
>
> $ time make -j3
> real    3m58.047s
> user    4m54.574s
> sys     1m24.202s
Mine is (with your configuration file, src updated with latest linus' tree,
[om@...yxsrv /home/src/linux-2.6]$  time make -j4
...snipped...
real    4m12.316s
user    5m12.600s
sys     0m37.742s

With stdout redirected, (It helps to save a minute or so )
[om@...yxsrv /home/src/linux-2.6]$ time make -j4  >>time.txt

real    3m23.504s
user    5m14.776s
sys     0m38.138s

> Here are some more numbers for you to compare to your box :
>
> allnoconfig :
>
> $ make clean
> $ make allnoconfig
> $ time make -j3
> real    0m54.544s
> user    1m2.113s
> sys     0m20.781s

[om@...yxsrv /home/src/linux-2.6]$ time make -j4 > allnoconfigtime.txt
real    0m43.399s
user    1m6.256s
sys     0m9.389s

> allmodconfig :
>
> $ make clean
> $ make allmodconfig
> $ time make -j3
> real    28m49.748s
> user    35m3.212s
> sys     10m43.633s

[om@...yxsrv /home/src/linux-2.6]$ time make -j4 > allmodconfigtime.txt
real    39m59.100s
user    34m16.857s
sys     4m36.697s
> This box uses a Athlon64 X2 4400+ CPU, has 2GB RAM and a single
> Ultra160 SCSI disk.

[root@...yxsrv ~]# hdparm -tT /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
 Timing cached reads:   2676 MB in  2.00 seconds = 1338.79 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  184 MB in  3.02 seconds =  61.00 MB/sec