Date:	Fri, 4 Aug 2006 13:31:47 -0700 (PDT)
From:	David Lang <dlang@...italinsight.com>
To:	Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@...p.org>
cc:	Arjan van de Ven <arjan@...ux.intel.com>,
	Antonio Vargas <windenntw@...il.com>,
	Rusty Russell <rusty@...tcorp.com.au>,
	Andrew Morton <akpm@...l.org>, jeremy@...source.com,
	greg@...ah.com, zach@...are.com, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	torvalds@...l.org, hch@...radead.org, jlo@...are.com,
	xen-devel@...ts.xensource.com, simon@...source.com,
	ian.pratt@...source.com
Subject: Re: A proposal - binary

On Fri, 4 Aug 2006, Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:

>> so if I understand this correctly we are saying that a kernel compiled to
>> run on hypervisor A would need to be recompiled to run on hypervisor B, and
>> recompiled again to run on hypervisor C, etc
>>
>> where A could be bare hardware, B could be Xen 2, C could be Xen 3, D could
>> be vmware, E could be vanilla Linux, etc.
>
> Yes, but you can compile one kernel for any set of hypervisors, so if you
> want both Xen and VMI, then compile both in.  (You always get bare hardware
> support.)

how can I compile in support for Xen4 on my 2.6.18 kernel? after all xen 2 and
xen3 are incompatable hypervisors so why wouldn't xen4 (and I realize there is
no xen4 yet, but there is likly to be one during the time virtual servers
created with 2.6.18 are still running)

>> this sounds like something that the distros would not support, they would
>> pick their one hypervisor to support and leave out the others. the big
>> problem with this is that the preferred hypervisor will change over time
>> and people will be left with incompatable choices (or having to compile
>> their own kernels, including having to recompile older kernels to support
>> newer hypervisors)
>
> Why?  That's like saying that distros will only bother to compile in one scsi
> driver.
>
> The hypervisor driver is tricker than a normal kernel device driver, because
> in general it needs to be present from very early in boot, which precludes it
> from being a normal module.  There's hope that we'll be able to support
> hypervisor drivers as boot-time grub/multiboot modules, so you'll be able to
> compile up a new hypervisor driver for a particular kernel and use it without
> recompiling the whole thing.

distros don't offer kernels with all options today, why would they in the future
(how many distros offer seperate 486/586/K6/K7/Pentium/P2/P3/P4 kernels, none.
they offer a least-common denominator kernel or two instead)

I also am missing something here. how can a system be compiled to do several
different things for the same privilaged opcode (including running that opcode)
without turning that area of code into a performance pig as it checks for each
possible hypervisor being present?

David Lang