Date:	Tue, 5 Sep 2006 14:38:39 -0400
From:	"Kimball Murray" <kimball.murray@...il.com>
To:	"Arjan van de Ven" <arjan@...radead.org>
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, akpm@...eo.com, ak@...e.de
Subject: Re: [Feature] x86_64 page tracking for Stratus servers

Hi Arjan,

Unfortunately, our situation has not changed much, so I feel this may
be a replay of the last time you asked.  One of our modules is GPL,
and that is the one that implements the page tracking.  It's fairly
large because it also provides PCI hotplug functionality and other
things for our platform.

As before, Stratus would not object to providing all kernel modules as
GPL, but still our problem is that there is some code that reflects
some of our chipset vendor's proprietary information, so they won't
allow us to release it under GPL.  So the best we can do under those
circumstances is to mimic something like the NVIDIA driver model to
satisfy our chipset vendors.

The file that implements the page tracking is called harvest.c, and is
part of the GPL module.  I have attached the code, in its
developmental form (so please pardon the #Ifdef's).  The entry point
for the page tracking is the routine fosil_synchronize_memory.

At 1400 lines, I should probably find a server to make this available.
 But not having one at the moment, please forgive the attachment.

-kimball

On 9/5/06, Arjan van de Ven <arjan@...radead.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-09-05 at 13:34 -0400, Kimball Murray wrote:
> > Attached is a git patch that implements a feature that is used by Stratus
> > fault-tolerant servers running on Intel x86_64 platforms.  It provides the
> > kernel mechanism that allows a loadable module to be able to keep track of
> > recently dirtied pages for the purpose of copying live, currently active
> > memory, to a spare memory module.
>

> last time this came up, your module wasn't open source.... has that
> changed since?
> Maybe you should just post it...

View attachment "harvest.c" of type "text/x-c" (30949 bytes)