Date:	Thu, 14 Sep 2006 19:04:16 -0400
From:	Bill Davidsen <davidsen@....com>
To:	David Wagner <daw-usenet@...erner.cs.berkeley.edu>
Subject: Re: R: Linux kernel source archive vulnerable

David Wagner wrote:
> Rene Scharfe  wrote:
>> [details on how GNU tar works, snipped]
>
> Again, you miss my point.  I already know how tar works, but that's not
> my point.  Why is it that people are so unwilling to address the real
> issue here?  Let's try a few facts:

Okay:
- you have been told told read the old posts on this topic
- you read but didn't understand
- the problem is YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG and untarring as root

The time to discuss where to put the umask was "back when," and I might
have agreed then, but now I can't see any justification to change,
because someone else would then have a problem. You want it to do
something else on your system, so do it. You shouldn't untar as root anyway.

You have not only beaten a dead horse, but dragged the carcass through
the streets.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@....com>
   Obscure bug of 2004: BASH BUFFER OVERFLOW - if bash is being run by a