Date:	Tue, 3 Oct 2006 23:25:47 -0500
From:	Chase Venters <chase.venters@...entec.com>
To:	"Julio Auto" <mindvortex@...il.com>
Cc:	goodfellas@...llcode.com.ar,
	"Linux kernel" <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	"Kyle Moffett" <mrmacman_g4@....com>,
	endrazine <endrazine@...il.com>,
	"Stephen Hemminger" <shemminger@...l.org>, Valdis.Kletnieks@...edu,
	"Alan Cox" <alan@...rguk.ukuu.org.uk>
Subject: Re: Registration Weakness in Linux Kernel's Binary formats

On Tuesday 03 October 2006 23:08, Julio Auto wrote:
> I sincerely think you're all missing the point here.
>
> The observation is in fact something that can be used by rootkit
> writers or developers of other forms of malware. Meaning that this is
> always something else that people who work to make Linux a safer
> environment will have to watch and look for (think of rootkit
> detectors, for an example). I'm glad they've reported it, as someone
> might be using it already for God knows how long. All very stealthy.
> All I can think is that this is a very good opportunity for us to
> rethink some designs and see if a little bit of effort wouldn't be
> worth the advantages a patch might bring.
>
> Don't get me wrong. I truly appreciate the freedom that Linux
> provides, but this "well, root should be able to do anything, anyway"
> mentality won't get this OS anywhere security-wise. If everyone
> thought like that, then I'd guess that sys_call_table would be an
> exported symbol until now, linux-gate wouldn't be randomized, and so
> on.

Julio,
	No one is trying to paper over any real problem here. This attack relies on
being able to insert an arbitrary kernel module into the running kernel. If
you can do that, you can literally load _any_ code you want. Attaching to the
binfmt callback list is one of about a billion things you could do.
	If you're worried about this kind of attack, the only way to be safe is to
turn off kernel module support or use another mechanism to restrict who can
load them.
	I think it's a little bit silly for a "security researcher" to simultaneously
publish stuff in the news and in a developer community, especially if the
threat is totally phony to begin with.

> Just a thought.
>
> Cheers,
>
>     Julio Auto