Date:	Thu, 05 Oct 2006 13:43:56 -0400
From:	Jeff Garzik <jeff@...zik.org>
To:	Andi Kleen <ak@...e.de>
CC:	discuss@...-64.org, torvalds@...l.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [discuss] Re: Please pull x86-64 bug fixes

Andi Kleen wrote:
> On Thursday 05 October 2006 19:17, Jeff Garzik wrote:
>
>> Does this fix the following issue:
>>
>> PCI: BIOS Bug: MCFG area at e0000000 is not E820-reserved
>> PCI: Not using MMCONFIG.
>>
>> 100% of my x86-64 boxes, AMD or Intel, print this message.  And 100% of
>> them work just fine with MMCONFIG.
>
> No.
>
> But it isn't really a issue. Basically everything[1] will work fine anyways.
>
> [1]  Only thing you're missing AFAIK is PCI Extended Error Reporting.

Not really true, I have some cards which have >256 bytes of config space.

>> I think this rule is far too drastic for real life.
>
> If you have a better proposal please share. I tried a few others, but none
> of them could handle all the buggy Intel 9x5 boards that hang on any
> mmconfig access (so the "try the first few busses" check already hangs)
>
> Originally I thought
> DMI blacklisting would work, but it's on too many systems for that
> (and Linus rightfully hated it anyways). ACPI checks also didn't work.
> I don't know of any others.

It's a bit disappointing, since I keep getting brand new boxes with
brand new BIOSen, but keep hitting this rule.

AFAICS it's a buggy check, since it continues to needlessly blacklist
working boxes.

My proposal is quite simple:  "something that works" -- the current
solution obviously does not.

	Jeff