Date:	Mon, 09 Oct 2006 21:15:28 -0500
From:	Steve Lord <lord@....org>
To:	David Chinner <dgc@....com>
CC:	linux-fsdevel@...r.kernel.org, linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, xfs@....sgi.com
Subject: Re: Directories > 2GB

Hi Dave,

My recollection is that it used to default to on, it was disabled
because it needs to map the buffer into a single contiguous chunk
of kernel memory. This was placing a lot of pressure on the memory
remapping code, so we made it not default to on as reworking the
code to deal with non contig memory was looking like a major
effort.

Steve