Date:	Thu, 19 Oct 2006 18:16:56 +1000
From:	Nick Piggin <nickpiggin@...oo.com.au>
To:	Paul Jackson <pj@....com>
CC:	holt@....com, suresh.b.siddha@...el.com, dino@...ibm.com,
	menage@...gle.com, Simon.Derr@...l.net,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, mbligh@...gle.com,
	rohitseth@...gle.com, dipankar@...ibm.com
Subject: Re: exclusive cpusets broken with cpu hotplug

Paul Jackson wrote:
>>So that depends on what cpusets asks for. If, when setting up a and
>>b, it asks to partition the domains, then yes that breaks the parent
>>cpuset gets broken.
>

> That probably makes good sense from the sched domain side of things.
>
> It is insanely counterintuitive from the cpuset side of things.
>
> Using heirarchical cpuset properties to drive this is the wrong
> approach.
>
> In the general case, looking at it (as best I can) from the sched
> domain side of things, it seems that the sched domain could be
> defined on a system as follows.
>
>     Partition the CPUs on the system - into one or more subsets
>     (partitions), non-overlapping, and covering.
>
>     Each of those partitions can either have a sched domain setup on
>     it, to support load balancing across the CPUs in that partition,
>     or can be isolated, with no load balancing occuring within that
>     partition.
>
>     No load balancing occurs across partitions.

Correct. But you don't have to treat isolated CPUs differently - they
are just the degenerate case of a partition of 1 CPU. I assume cpusets
could create similar "isolated" domains where no balancing takes place.

> Using cpu_exclusive cpusets for this is next to impossible.  It could
> be approximated perhaps by having just the immediate children of the
> root cpuset, /dev/cpuset/*, define the partition.

Fine.

> But if any lower level cpusets have any affect on the partitioning,
> by setting their cpu_exclusive flag in the current implementation,
> it is -always- the case, by the basic structure of the cpuset
> hierarchy, that the lower level cpuset is a subset of its parents
> cpus, and that that parent also has cpu_exclusive set.
>
> The resulting partitioning, even in such simple examples as above, is
> not obvious.  If you look back a couple days, when I first presented
> essentially this example, I got the resulting sched domain partitioning
> entirely wrong.
>
> The essential detail in my big patch of yesterday, to add new specific
> sched_domain flags to cpusets, is that it -removed- the requirement to
> mark a parent as defining a sched domain anytime a child defined one.
>
> That requirement is one of the defining properties of the cpu_exclusive
> flag, and makes that flag -outrageously- unsuited for defining sched
> domain partitions.

So make the new rule "cpu_exclusive && direct-child-of-root-cpuset".
Your problems go away, and they haven't been pushed to userspace.

If a user wants to, for some crazy reason, have a set of cpu_exclusive
sets deep in the cpuset hierarchy, such that no load balancing happens
between them... just tell them they can't; they should just make those
cpusets children of the root.

--
SUSE Labs, Novell Inc.