Date:	Mon, 23 Oct 2006 03:31:16 +0200
From:	Andi Kleen <ak@...e.de>
To:	Matthew Wilcox <matthew@....cx>
Cc:	Geert Uytterhoeven <geert@...ux-m68k.org>,
	Randy Dunlap <rdunlap@...otime.net>,
	Stefan Richter <stefanr@...6.in-berlin.de>,
	Al Viro <viro@....linux.org.uk>,
	Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...l.org>,
	Alexey Dobriyan <adobriyan@...il.com>,
	Linux Kernel Development <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	linux-arch@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: dealing with excessive includes

On Monday 23 October 2006 03:08, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 23, 2006 at 02:42:58AM +0200, Andi Kleen wrote:
> >
> > > /*+
> > >  * Provides: struct sched
> > >  * Provides: total_forks, nr_threads, process_counts, nr_processes()
> > >  * Provides: nr_running(), nr_uninterruptible(), nr_active(), nr_iowait(), weighted_cpuload()
> > >  */
> >
> > That's ugly.  If it needs that i don't think it's a good idea.
> > We really want standard C, not some Linux dialect.
>
> Um, that's a comment.  It's standard C.

If you require it to do something it isn't a comment anymore -- it would become
a language extension.

> Here's the problem.  If a file needs canonicalize_irq(), it should
> include <linux/interrupt.h> (which eventually ends up including
> asm/irq,h), and not <asm/irq.h> (where it's defined).
> If a file needs add_wait_queue(), it should include <linux/wait.h>
> (where it's defined) and not <linux/fs.h> (which directly includes
> linux/wait.h>.
>
> Please define an algorithm which distinguishes the two cases.

Needs are inside {} or in a macro definition
So if the identifier happens after #define or inside {} assume the symbol
is needed from somewhere else, otherwise it is declared here.

That is likely not 100% foolproof, but should be good enough and
the mismatches can be resolved by hand.

-Andi