Date:	Thu, 26 Oct 2006 12:35:29 +0200
From:	Clemens Koller <clemens.koller@...gramm.de>
To:	Gregory Brauer <greg@...dbrain.com>
CC:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: SATA300 TX4 + WD2500KS = status=0x50 { DriveReady SeekComplete
 }

Hello, Gregory!

Gregory Brauer wrote:

> I have a new Promise SATA300 TX4 4-port SATA controller
> to which I have attached two older WD2500JD hard drives
> and two brand new WD2500KS hard drives.  The older drives
> seem to work fine, but both of the brand new hard drives
> trigger the following errors every few seconds during
> i/o:
>
> Oct 25 13:57:18 gleep kernel: ata3: no sense translation for status: 0x50
> Oct 25 13:57:18 gleep kernel: ata3: translated ATA stat/err 0x50/00 to
> SCSI SK/ASC/ASCQ 0xb/00/00
> [...]
> 00:0b.0 Mass storage controller: Promise Technology, Inc. PDC20718 (SATA
> 300 TX4) (rev 02)

Hummm... Well, first, can you try another kernel?
Second, the same chip on a board from a different manufacturer.
I am a hardware engineer working with the Promise PDC20775.
SATA Chips are pretty sensitive to bad board layout, coming up
with strange errors. :-/

Best greets,

Clemens Koller
R&D Imaging Devices