Date:	Mon, 30 Oct 2006 03:10:48 +0000
From:	Sergio Monteiro Basto <sergio@...giomb.no-ip.org>
To:	Andi Kleen <ak@...e.de>
Cc:	Lee Revell <rlrevell@...-job.com>,
	Chris Friesen <cfriesen@...tel.com>,
	john stultz <johnstul@...ibm.com>
Subject: Re: AMD X2 unsynced TSC fix?

On Sat, 2006-10-28 at 05:22 +0100, Sergio Monteiro Basto wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-10-27 at 21:06 -0700, Andi Kleen wrote:
> > > So far, has I can understand. Seems to me that my computer which have a
> > > Pentium D (Dual Core) on VIA chipset, also have unsynchronized TSC and
> > > with the patch of hrtimers on
> >
> > Intel systems (except for some large highend systems) have synchronized TSCs.
> > Only exception so far seems to be a few systems that are
> > overclocked/overvolted and running outside their specification.
> > When you do that you'e on your own and we're not interested in a bug
> > report.
>
> and my computer :)
> http://www.asrock.com/product/775Dual-880Pro.htm
> http://www.asrock.com/support/CPU_Support/show.asp?Model=775Dual-880Pro
> Monday I will checkout if my computer is under specs.
> Seems that I like buy computers with many problems on Linux and fix :)

I bought this computer, on computers shop that have the best credits in
Portugal. And I don't change anything.

cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 1
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 15
model           : 4
model name      :               Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz
stepping        : 4
cpu MHz         : 2793.050
cache size      : 1024 KB

with 2 x 1024 KB cache size just saw Pentium D 820 in
http://www.intel.com/products/processor_number/chart/pentium_d.htm

which is supported on
http://www.asrock.com/support/CPU_Support/show.asp?Model=775Dual-880Pro

775 Pentium D 820 2.80GHz 8O0MHz 2MB Smithfield All

Just see that don't have Enhanced Intel SpeedStep® Technology.

I attach here x86info which match with
http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SL88T

Other curiosity with kernel 2.6.18.1 and the hrtimers patch. Kernel boot
oops and hang , if I don't give "notsc" option.

> > There was also one BIOS found that had this problem, but it was old and rare
> > and got fixed with a upgrade.

I have last BIOS released

--
SĂ©rgio M.B.

View attachment "x86info.txt" of type "text/plain" (1855 bytes)

Download attachment "smime.p7s" of type "application/x-pkcs7-signature" (2166 bytes)