Date:	Sun, 5 Nov 2006 12:31:05 +0100 (MET)
From:	Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@...ux01.gwdg.de>
To:	Willy Tarreau <w@....eu>
cc:	Mikulas Patocka <mikulas@...ax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz>,
	Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...l.org>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: New filesystem for Linux

>> BTW do you find uppercase typedefs like
>> typedef struct {
>> } SPADFNODE;
>> confusing too?
>
>Yes for the reason above. Also, we don't much use type definitions for
>structures, because it's easier to understand "struct spadfnode *node"
>in a function declaration than "SPADFNODE *node".

It gets worse when code authors begin to use

typedef struct { ... } MYSTRUCT, *PMYSTRUCT, **PPMYSTRUCT;

Most certainly you will run into "passing argument from incompatible
pointer"[1] and "request for member ■a■ in something not a structure or
union"[2] and "invalid type argument of ■->■"[3] (BTW I hate gcc using
Unicode chars in its output which are not displayed in the console):

struct foo {
    int bar;
} ST, *PST;
void foobar(ST a) {  // [1]
    a->bar = 1;
    foobar2(a);  // [3]
}
void foobar2(PST a) {  // [2]
    a.bar = 1;
}

So I much rather like to see all the 'funky stars' (struct foo *) in the
parameter list, instead of trying to keep track of how many of them a
PST carries.

	-`J'