Date:	Thu, 16 Nov 2006 01:38:16 +0000
From:	Sergio Monteiro Basto <sergio@...giomb.no-ip.org>
To:	Andreas Arens <ari@...on.de>,
	acpi devel <linux-acpi@...r.kernel.org>
Cc:	tglx@...utronix.de, Siddha@...r.kernel.org,
	Suresh B <suresh.b.siddha@...el.com>, Andi Kleen <ak@...e.de>,
	Lee Revell <rlrevell@...-job.com>,
	Chris Friesen <cfriesen@...tel.com>,
	linux-kernel <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>, len.brown@...el.com,
	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>,
	Arjan van de Ven <arjan@...radead.org>,
	john stultz <johnstul@...ibm.com>
Subject: Re: AMD X2 unsynced TSC fix?

On Wed, 2006-11-15 at 19:40 +0100, Andreas Arens wrote:
> as I see from the dmesg on the Fedora bugzilla, your acpi tables
> don't provide an entry to the HPET timer.

> As the VIA8237 happens to have a built-in HPET, I was able to force it
> on using the
> attached patch (against 2.6.18) on an X2 system with the same
> problem, which greatly improved the system stability for me.

But I have one Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.8 on a VIA8237
My latest suspect of the root of the problem of my computer is not in
Processor but in those VIAs. As you find that "don't provide an entry to
the HPET timer on acpi tables" it match, but how do you know that ?
I don't send DSDT on bugzilla

> The patch is hand-crafted from some older clock-tick kernel tree
> sources I found by googling.
>
> The thing is hackish and not suitable for mainline inclusion,
> but may be useful nontheless.
> If you find it useful, and it helps you please let me know.

I try your patch and it give me this differences on dmesg (file attach),
detect a different timer.c but no improvement without notsc boot option
and with notsc the computer got worst.

--
Sérgio M.B.

View attachment "dmesg30-38.diff" of type "text/x-patch" (14830 bytes)

Download attachment "smime.p7s" of type "application/x-pkcs7-signature" (2166 bytes)