Date:	Thu, 23 Nov 2006 10:13:01 +0100
From:	DervishD <lkml@...vishd.net>
To:	Sergio Monteiro Basto <sergio@...giomb.no-ip.org>
Cc:	OGAWA Hirofumi <hirofumi@...l.parknet.co.jp>,
	The Peach <smartart@...cali.it>, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [OT] Re: bug? VFAT copy problem

    Hi Sérgio :)

 * Sergio Monteiro Basto <sergio@...giomb.no-ip.org> dixit:
> On Wed, 2006-11-22 at 15:53 +0100, DervishD wrote:
> >  * Sergio Monteiro Basto <sergio@...giomb.no-ip.org> dixit:
> > > Have vfat a limit of a file size when copy ?
> >
> >     2GB, if I recall correctly. FAT32 itself has a limit of 4GB-1 for
> > file size, but Linux restricts it even more (don't ask me why).
>
> May I say that FAT32 have a bigger limit (at least on last Windows).

    I really don't know, but from microsoft technical information
(the first or second hit when googling for "FAT32 size limit"), the
limit they specify in FAT32 is 2^32-1.

    I may be wrong, but with 32 bits you cannot address more than
2^32 bytes, I don't know how can you create a bigger-than-4Gb file in
a FAT32 filesystem without resorting to tricks like this:

    forum.doom9.org/archive/index.php/t-20689.html

    Looks like FAT-32 (don't ask me how because I don't know the
internals) can store a file bigger than 4GB, but you cannot *save*
it. So you won't be able to put the file you have back to any FAT32
filesystem, I'm afraid.

> Have you a solution for the case ? Now I have the file in ext3 and
> I couldn't copy to any vfat :)

    No, I don't have any idea about how to do it, sorry :(

> I have a solution with cifs or smbmount, but in same computer ?

    I doubt. That limit is a hard limit as far as I know. Google for
"FAT32 limit" and you'll get a lot of answers telling it. I don't
really know how did you get a bigger than 4GB file saved in a FAT32
filesystem in the first place ;))

    Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado