Date:	Mon, 4 Dec 2006 22:21:43 -0800
From:	"Chen, Kenneth W" <kenneth.w.chen@...el.com>
To:	"'Andrew Morton'" <akpm@...l.org>
Cc:	"linux-kernel" <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: RE: [patch] add an iterator index in struct pagevec

Andrew Morton wrote on Monday, December 04, 2006 9:45 PM
> On Mon, 4 Dec 2006 21:21:31 -0800
> "Chen, Kenneth W" <kenneth.w.chen@...el.com> wrote:
>
> > pagevec is never expected to be more than PAGEVEC_SIZE, I think a
> > unsigned char is enough to count them.  This patch makes nr, cold
> > to be unsigned char
>
> Is that on the right side of the speed/space tradeoff?

I haven't measured speed.  Size wise, making them char shrinks vmlinux
text size by 112 bytes on x86_64 (using default config option).

> I must say I'm a bit skeptical about the need for this.  But I haven't
> looked closely at the blockdev-specific dio code yet.

It was suggested to declare another struct that embeds pagevec to perform
iteration.  But I prefer to have pagevec having the capability, it is
more compact this way.

It would be nice if you can review blockdev-specific dio code.  I would
appreciate it very much.

- Ken