Date:	Fri, 15 Dec 2006 12:27:41 -0500
From:	Bill Davidsen <davidsen@....com>
To:	Jesper Juhl <jesper.juhl@...il.com>
CC:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Will there be security updates for 2.6.17 kernels?

Jesper Juhl wrote:
> On 14/12/06, Manuel Reimer <Manuel.Spam@...fuerspam.de> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> my problem is, that the slackware maintainers decided to use kernel
>> 2.6.17. Here is their comment, they posted to the changelog:
>>
> <snip>
>>
>> They had a 2.6.16 kernel in /extra before and as far as I know the
>> 2.6.16 kernel series still gets security updates.
>>
>> Is this also the case for 2.6.17 kernels?
>
> No, that is not planned. 2.6.16.x is an exception.    -stable kernels
> (those with 2.6.x.y versions) are only released for the latest stable
> 2.6.x kernel. So currently that's 2.6.19 and as soon as 2.6.20 comes
> out there will not be any more 2.6.19.x, only 2.6.20.x   - I hope
> that's clear...

A happy exception I would say, given that there have been several
changes since then which might impact existing application software.
There are reasons to stay with 2.6.16 until applications have been
updated to handle the new unchanged behavior. See "VCD not readable" for
details.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@....com>
   CTO TMR Associates, Inc