Date:	Thu, 21 Dec 2006 10:31:56 -0500
From:	Valdis.Kletnieks@...edu
To:	Alistair John Strachan <s0348365@....ed.ac.uk>
Cc:	Chuck Ebbert <76306.1226@...puserve.com>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Oops in 2.6.19.1

On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 22:15:50 GMT, Alistair John Strachan said:
> Seems pretty unlikely on a 4 year old Via Epia. Never had any problems with it
> before now.
>
> Maybe a cosmic ray event? ;-)

More likely a stray alpha particle from a radioactive decay in the actual chip
casing - I saw some research a while back that said that the average commodity
system should *expect* to see 1 or 2 alpha-induced single-bit errors per year,
and the chance that *you* saw the event was directly related to whether the
memory had ECC, and how much of the other circuitry had ECC on it....