Date:	Sun, 24 Dec 2006 14:31:54 +0100 (MET)
From:	Wolfgang Draxinger <wdraxinger@...kstargames.de>
To:	"Linux-Kernel@...r. Kernel. Org" <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Cc:	Valdis.Kletnieks@...edu
Subject: Re: Binary Drivers

Am Sonntag, 24. Dezember 2006 07:46 schrieb Valdis.Kletnieks@...edu:

> Are they allowed to sell a car that incorporates a computer that
> uses a trade-secret algorithm for controlling the fuel injection to
> get 20 more horsepower and 5% better mileage?

That would be a propritary fuel injection driver then.

What we want however is access to the documentation, the
specifications, that allows us to develop a very own driver,
independently from the propritary one. We don't want source code or
anything. Of course if the hardware manufactor supplies us with
source code, that's great.

Probably any customly written driver will be suboptimal in the first
place, but OTOH there are so many skilled people around in the OSS
scene, that such a driver would surely soon catch up, if not even
surpass the propritary one.

Happy holydays

Wolfgang Draxinger
--
"sooner or later we'll reverse engineer you."