Date:	Tue, 26 Dec 2006 11:47:35 +0100
To:	"'LKML Kernel'" <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: [OT] AW: A new, cheap low-power motherboard - how to pick?

If you don't need high power, look at VIA's Epia series motherboards. There
are several boards with and without fan at the cpu. Of course, there are not
for gameing :-)

Regards,
	Uwe

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: linux-kernel-owner@...r.kernel.org
[mailto:linux-kernel-owner@...r.kernel.org] Im Auftrag von Ian Stirling
Gesendet: Dienstag, 26. Dezember 2006 10:44
An: LKML Kernel
Betreff: A new, cheap low-power motherboard - how to pick?

I was wanting to upgrade from my K7S5A (Socket A, duron 1300) to
something with integrated USB2 and net.

The K7S5A was poor in a few ways - but at least showed that it was
possible for it to hit 30-32W idle, using athcool, though the network
card kept wedging, and sound diddn't work in that mode.

The very few reviews I can find seem to indicate that 'CoolnQuiet'
doesn't really help much.

Can anyone suggest where I should start looking? (at a total budget of
$US100 for motherboard + processor or so).

I'm on a quest for replacing any items in the home with low power ones,
and energy saving versions, as they need replaced. My bills are too high.

My first choice - the K7S41GX - diddn't actually work out in that
athcool doesn't work at all (trying to raise the energy to look in the
chipset datasheet if I can find it)

Many thanks.
Ian Stirling.