Date:	Tue, 26 Dec 2006 08:20:42 -0600
From:	florin@...ha.net (Florin Iucha)
To:	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>
Cc:	Andrew Morton <akpm@...l.org>,
Subject: Re: Linux 2.6.20-rc2

On Tue, Dec 26, 2006 at 01:40:19PM +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> * Andrew Morton <akpm@...l.org> wrote:
>
> > > [ 2844.871895] BUG: scheduling while atomic: cp/0x20000000/2965
>
> > This is the second report we've had where bit 29 of ->preempt_count is
> > getting set.  I don't think there's any legitimate way in which that
> > bit can get set.  (Ingo?)
>
> It's not legitimate (the highest legitimate bit is PREEMPT_ACTIVE, bit
> 28). Nor can i think of any bug scenario barring outright memory
> corruption (either hardware or kernel induced) that could cause this.
> It's quite hard to trigger bit 29 there via any of the scheduling
> mechanisms: either the preempt count would have to underflow massively
> /and/ avoid detection during that undflow (sheer impossible) or the
> HARDIRQ_COUNT would have to overflow to more than 4096 (again near
> impossible to trigger), and simultaneously the softirq and preempt count
> would have to overflow by 256 /at once/, or underflow by 1 at once. The
> likelyhood of that makes the likelyhood of GPL-ed Windows a sure bet in
> comparison.
>
> So my guess would still be memory corruption of some sort, or some
> really weird compiler bug. We just recently mandated REGPARM on i386 for
> example, it would be interesting to know whether an older (say 2.6.18 or
> 19) config had CONFIG_REGPARM enabled or not? Regparm can also tax the
> hardware (the CPU in particular) a bit more.

This is my year-old workstation that I've build from good parts (Asus
A8N-SLI premium, OCZ memory), not overclocked, not overheated (it is
in a Antec P180 case with 12 cm fans -> CPU max is 43'C when not used
for my hour-long simulations).  I will leave it do memtest for a
couple hours.

The compiler is "gcc version 4.1.2 20061028 (prerelease) (Debian
4.1.1-19)" and the .config is attached.

florin

--
Bruce Schneier expects the Spanish Inquisition.
      http://geekz.co.uk/schneierfacts/fact/163

View attachment "config-2.6.20-rc2" of type "text/plain" (39880 bytes)

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (190 bytes)