Date:	Thu, 11 Jan 2007 23:57:06 +0100 (CET)
From:	Stefan Richter <stefanr@...6.in-berlin.de>
To:	Sunil Naidu <akula2.shark@...il.com>
cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Linux-2.6.20-rc4 - Kernel panic!

Sunil Naidu wrote:
> I meant to ask choosing (from Xconfig tree)  a driver as module has
> same affect compare to compiling a driver as kernel builtin feature?
> (while loading/booting of kernel)

No, it hasn't quite the same effect:

>> Modules have to be loaded from a filesystem while built-in features are
>> available from the start.

> I did check the distro .config file (2.6.18-1.2868.fc6). Even I have
> changed the my .config files according to the distro's. Even after
> that, same error message.

Check if you also built the initrd the same way as the distributed one,
i.e. examine their contents. If it was, try booting an own kernel and
initrd built from FC6's 2.6.18-* sources. If that fails too, build a
kernel with all drivers compiled in which you know you need to access
the root FS. If that kernel still fails to mount the root FS, look for
any earlier error messages in the boot sequence.
--
Stefan Richter