Date:	Sat, 20 Jan 2007 16:37:18 +0100
From:	Alessandro Di Marco <dmr@....it>
To:	Bill Davidsen <davidsen@....com>
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] System Inactivity Monitor v1.0

Bill Davidsen <davidsen@....com> writes:

   Alessandro Di Marco wrote:
   > Hi all,
   >
   > this is a new 2.6.20 module implementing a user inactivity trigger. Basically
   > it acts as an event sniffer, issuing an ACPI event when no user activity is
   > detected for more than a certain amount of time. This event can be successively
   > grabbed and managed by an user-level daemon such as acpid, blanking the screen,
   > dimming the lcd-panel light à la mac, etc...

   Any idea how much power this saves? And for the vast rest of us who do run X,
   this seems to parallel the work of a well-tuned screensaver.

This is just a notifier; to make it work as a screensaver you'll have to rely
on some external programs. Personally I use smartdimmer to dim my vaio panel.

Obviously you can keep your toaster flying, if you like, simply calling the
flying-toaster module instead of smartdimmer. Anyway I would use the latter on
battery. ;-)

Best,

--
"What made the deepest impression upon you?" inquired a friend one day of
Lincoln, "when you stood in the presence of the Falls of Niagara, the greatest