Date:	Sat, 20 Jan 2007 14:34:37 -0500
From:	"Adam Kropelin" <akropel1@...hester.rr.com>
To:	<linux-pci@...ey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz>
Cc:	"Auke Kok" <auke-jan.h.kok@...el.com>,
	<linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: MSI failure on nForce 430 (WAS: intel 82571EB gigabit fails to see link on 2.6.20-rc5 in-tree e1000 driver (regression))

(cc: list trimmed and thread moved to linux-pci)

I have a PCI-E e1000 card that does not see interrupts on 2.6.20-rc5
unless CONFIG_PCI_MSI is disabled. An e1000 maintainer indicated that
the PHY state is correct, it's just that the interrupt is not getting
thru to the kernel. Interestingly, on 2.6.19 PHY interrupts get thru ok
with MSI enabled (link status responds appropriately) but packet tx
fails with timeout errors, implying that perhaps MAC interrupts are not
arriving.

I've attached the contents dmesg, 'lspci -vvv', and 'cat
/proc/interrupts' from 2.6.20-rc5.

This is an nForce 430 based chipset on a Dell E521 which has had
interrupt routing issues before. Prior to 2.6.19 it had to be booted
with 'noapic' in order to come up at all. It also had USB lockup
problems until I applied the latest BIOS update (v1.1.4). So a BIOS
interrupt routing bug with MSI is not out of the question.

I'm happy to gather more data or run tests...

--Adam