Date:	Mon, 22 Jan 2007 13:46:05 +0100
From:	Alessandro Di Marco <dmr@....it>
To:	Pavel Machek <pavel@....cz>
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] System Inactivity Monitor v1.0

Pavel Machek <pavel@....cz> writes:

   > +if [ ! -d "/proc/sin" ]; then
   > +    echo "/proc/sin not found, has sinmod been loaded?"
   > +    exit
   > +fi

   No new /proc files, please.

This was merely a prototype realized in a hurry, not a production
driver. Really, I did't think it could be interesting for anybody.

Would be /sys ok?

   > +cat <<EOF
   > +
   > +SIN wakes up periodically and checks for user activity occurred in the
   > +meantime; this options lets you to specify how much frequently SIN should be
   > +woken-up. Its value is expressed in tenth of seconds.

   Heh. We'll waste power trying to save it.

Well, not just a power saver. For example I use SIN to auto-logoff my bash
session as well (detaching the screen session.)

   If you have to hook it into kernel, can you at least do it properly?

Of course. You can find attached a patch fixing this. Now SIN wakes up just
when it expects to do something: if in the meantime the user interacts with the
system, SIN simply recalculates the next wake-up time on the basis of the last
user's activity date and goes to sleep again.

Best,

View attachment "deadline.patch" of type "text/x-patch" (18713 bytes)

--
Of one thing I am certain, the body is not the measure of healing - peace is
the measure. - George Melton