Date:	Wed, 24 Jan 2007 21:05:04 -0600
From:	Mark Rustad <mrustad@...il.com>
To:	Chris Rankin <rankincj@...oo.com>
Cc:	Alan <alan@...rguk.ukuu.org.uk>, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: 2.6.18-stable release plans?

On Jan 24, 2007, at 5:45 PM, Chris Rankin wrote:
>> --- Mark Rustad <mrustad@...il.com> wrote:
>> Exactly. Halting use of a version of the kernel based on a single
>> incident provides no insight to the source of the problem. It could
>> be anything...
>
> There is a world of difference between a polite request for more
> information (although I gave you
> everything I had), and fobbing someone off with a story about
> cosmic rays.

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to imply anything like that. I just happened
to notice that the date of the bug report appeared to correlate
pretty well with one of the solar flare events last month. I was
really trying to share some information that just conceivably might
have been related, based on the earlier messages in this thread
regarding memory errors.

I don't normally follow solar activity. I have been looking into some
system failures that happened last month. The systems had been
running with all bus error detection enabled – the hardware set to
spontaneously reboot on any uncorrectable error. Since our systems
are redundant, performing a reset simply means that the redundant
partner will take over, so the reset is the best way to be certain
that there is no data corruption. I eventually recalled a radio
report last month about a coronal mass ejection on the sun and how
things might be disrupted here. I checked out www.spaceweather.com
and found that December was a very active month, with three separate
X-class flares. I have no way to conclude that the failures that I
have seen were influenced by events on the sun, but it seems
possible. Compared to our systems, most PCs and even much server-
class hardware systems are likely to corrupt a bit just keep on going.

We'll never know if any of these things were correlated with the
solar flares because they all seem to be one-off failures. I do find
it interesting though. Our systems seem to be doing statistically
better this month. What do you think?

--
Mark Rustad, MRustad@....com