Date:	Sun, 18 Feb 2007 23:40:20 +0200
From:	Timur Aydin <ta@...din.org>
To:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: PCMCIA WLAN card initialization error

Hi,

I have a Prism based PCMCIA WLAN card, which I want to use in my
workstation PC. I am using a Ricoh RL5c475 based PCMCIA/PCI bridge to
attach the card to one of the empty PCI slots. I want to use this PC
as a wireless access point (with hostap), but first I want to make
sure the card works, so I first want to use the card as a client to an
existing wireless access point. So I compiled support into the linux
kernel for only the hermes chipset and the yenta driver (no hostap
right now).

The problem is that when iwconfig is issued, the wireless interface
does not show up.

I am seeing some error or warning messages in the kernel logs, but I
am not sure if they are relevant to this. For example:

orinoco 0.15 (David Gibson <hermes@...son.dropbear.id.au>, Pavel Roskin <proski@....org>, et al)
orinoco_cs 0.15 (David Gibson <hermes@...son.dropbear.id.au>, Pavel Roskin <proski@....org>, et al)
pcmcia: request for exclusive IRQ could not be fulfilled.
pcmcia: the driver needs updating to supported shared IRQ lines.
eth2: failed to initialize firmware (err = -19)
orinoco_cs: register_netdev() failed
pcmcia: request for exclusive IRQ could not be fulfilled.
pcmcia: the driver needs updating to supported shared IRQ lines.
eth2: failed to initialize firmware (err = -19)
orinoco_cs: register_netdev() failed

I am also seeing resource allocation errors:

PCI: Failed to allocate mem resource #10:2000000@...00000 for 0000:02:08.0
PCI: Bus 3, cardbus bridge: 0000:02:08.0
  IO window: 00009000-000090ff
  IO window: 00009400-000094ff
  PREFETCH window: 50000000-51ffffff
PCI: Bridge: 0000:00:0e.0
  IO window: 9000-afff
  MEM window: f5000000-f6ffffff
  PREFETCH window: 50000000-52ffffff

I am not sure, but I think the actual error is the (err = -19). I have
added some extra printk's into hermes.c. This error originates from
the hermes_init function in hermes.c:

	/* Normally it's a "can't happen" for the command register to
           be busy when we go to issue a command because we are
           serializing all commands.  However we want to have some
           chance of resetting the card even if it gets into a stupid
           state, so we actually wait to see if the command register
           will unbusy itself here. */
	k = CMD_BUSY_TIMEOUT;
	reg = hermes_read_regn(hw, CMD);
	while (k && (reg & HERMES_CMD_BUSY)) {
		if (reg == 0xffff) /* Special case - the card has probably been removed,
				      so don't wait for the timeout */
			return -ENODEV;

		k--;
		udelay(1);
		reg = hermes_read_regn(hw, CMD);
	}

reg is indeed 0xffff and the function returns -ENODEV.

I need help to further troubleshoot the problem, any directions or
hints welcome...

Here is the system information:

uname -a:
Linux bonsai 2.6.19-gentoo-r5 #1 PREEMPT Sun Feb 18 22:04:07 EET 2007
i686 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3500+ AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux

The grub.conf, /etc/pcmcia/config.opts, lspci, lspcmcia and dmesg
output is attached.

View attachment "lspcmcia.txt" of type "text/plain" (934 bytes)

View attachment "lspci.txt" of type "text/plain" (12138 bytes)

View attachment "out.txt" of type "text/plain" (15484 bytes)

Download attachment "grub.conf" of type "text-plain" (174 bytes)

Download attachment "config-2.6.19-gentoo-r5" of type "text-plain" (45325 bytes)