Date:	Thu, 15 Mar 2007 15:25:59 +0100
From:	"Alexander van Heukelum" <heukelum@...tmail.fm>
To:	sbhushan@...ence.com, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Files not visible across NFS

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 16:51:02 +0530, "Sai Bhushan" <sbhushan@...ence.com>
said:
> Hi,
>
> I am facing a problem where-in some files are not visible across NFS and
> hence, not able to read those files. However, after sometime, the files
> become visible and the data is accessible. I have tried to do an 'ls -l'
> operation on the directory and repeat it till the directory gets mounted
> and visible. This works in some cases but sometimes fails as well.
>
> Is there any reliable way of ensuring that the directory gets mounted
> and all files in it are visible before accessing the data ??
>
> Any help/pointers in this regard would be really great.

Hi,

Many Ubuntu users seem to be experiencing such problems on ubuntu-2.6.17
kernels:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.17/+bug/62308

In my experience, everything works fine as long as all
directory-elements in
the path on the nfs mount are set executable for user _and_others_. If
that
is not the case, files are available for about five seconds after the
first
access, after which they disappear. If I try to access the file again I
get
a "permission denied" message. No messages get logged.

For me, adding the "no_subtree_check" option in /etc/exports 'fixed' the
problem. I'm on ubuntu-2.6.17-11-generic on amd64. This works for me:

/home
192.168.22.0/255.255.255.0(rw,sync,no_subtree_check,mp=/home,fsid=12120)
/scratch
192.168.22.0/255.255.255.0(rw,sync,no_subtree_check,mp=/scratch,fsid=12121)

Anyhow, you did not give any information about your
distro/kernel/hardware?

Greetings,
    Alexander

> -Thanks & Regards
> Sai
>
> -
> To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel"
> in

  Alexander van Heukelum
  heukelum@...tmail.fm