Date:	Tue, 20 Mar 2007 09:03:07 +0100
From:	Mike Galbraith <efault@....de>
To:	Willy Tarreau <w@....eu>
Cc:	Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>,
	Xavier Bestel <xavier.bestel@...e.fr>, Mark Lord <lkml@....ca>,
	Al Boldi <a1426z@...ab.com>, Con Kolivas <kernel@...ivas.org>,
	ck@....kolivas.org, Serge Belyshev <belyshev@...ni.sinp.msu.ru>,
	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	Nicholas Miell <nmiell@...cast.net>,
Subject: Re: RSDL v0.31

On Tue, 2007-03-20 at 07:11 +0100, Willy Tarreau wrote:

> Also, while I don't agree with starting to renice X to get something usable,
> it seems real that there's something funny on Mike's system which makes it
> behave particularly strangely when combined with RSDL, because other people
> in comparable tests (including me) have found X perfectly smooth even with
> loads in the tens or even hundreds. I really suspect that we will find a bug
> in RSDL which triggers the problem and that this fix will help discover
> another problem on Mike's hardware which was not triggered by mainline.

I don't _think_ there's anything funny in my system, and Con said it was
the expected behavior with my testcase, but I won't rule it out.

Moving right along to the bugs part, I hope others are looking as well,
and not only talking.

One area that looks pretty fishy to me is cross-cpu wakeups and task
migration.  p->rotation appears to lose all meaning when you cross the
cpu boundary, and try_to_wake_up()is using that information in the
cross-cpu case.  In pull_task() OTOH, it checks to see if the task ran
on the remote cpu (at all, hmm), and if so tags the task accordingly.
It is not immediately obvious to me why this would be a good thing
though, because quotas of one runqueue don't appear to have any relation
to quotas of some other runqueue.  (i'm going to it that this old
information is meaningless)

	-Mike