Date:	Thu, 05 Apr 2007 23:12:07 -0400
From:	Valdis.Kletnieks@...edu
To:	johnrobertbanks@...tmail.fm
Cc:	"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@...or.com>, Ignatich <ignatich@...il.com>,
	reiserfs-list@...esys.com, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Reiser4. BEST FILESYSTEM EVER.

On Thu, 05 Apr 2007 18:34:48 PDT, johnrobertbanks@...tmail.fm said:

> If they are accurate,.... THEN they are obviously very relevant.

Erm. No. They're not "obviously" very relevant.

I could hypothetically create a benchmark, that's accurate and repeatable,
that shows that reiser4 is able to wash a herd of elephants exactly 11.458%
faster than ext3.  And you would, of course, say "But elephants have nothing to
do with file systems", Because they aren't relevant to file systems.

Similarly, we've seen benchmarks that show some patch improves NUMA performance
by 5% - and those aren't relevant on my laptop because my laptop doesn't do
NUMA.  And a benchmark of file system performance is only as relevant as it
reflects *your* application's use of the filesystem - how fast it can create
and remove tiny files isn't relevant if your use of the filesystem is to store
large files with long sequential read/write patterns.  And the level of
compression isn't very relevant if you're using the partition to store
already-compressed audio or video.

I know somebody who defines a "relevance index" for things, and the measure
is "how many cubicles do I have to go to find somebody who actually cares
about ABC?" - and for him, that's itself a relevant index, because if it's
0, *he* cares, and if it's 1, his immediate neighbors care and will cause him
grief if ABC is a problem.   People who are 5 or 6 cubicles away are less
likely to give him a hard time, and the people who are 15 to 20 cubicles away
are in an entirely separate building. :)