Date:	Mon, 09 Apr 2007 10:24:40 +0200
From:	Mike Galbraith <efault@....de>
To:	Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@...il.com>
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>,
	Con Kolivas <kernel@...ivas.org>,
	ck list <ck@....kolivas.org>
Subject: Re: Ten percent test

On Mon, 2007-04-09 at 01:16 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Monday 09 April 2007, Mike Galbraith wrote:
> >
> >So tar -cvf - / | gzip --best | tar -tvzf - should reproduce the
> >problem?
> >
> That looks as if it should demo it pretty well if I understand correctly
> everything you're doing there.

Ok, I can't reproduce any bad interactivity here with that workload
either with SMP or UP kernel.  That said however, gzip does attain
interactive status, which it really should not - that gives it an unfair
advantage over it's peers.

With my throttled tree, it gets pushed back down to where it belongs.
I'm going to try to tighten the tolerance on behavior to evict the
riffraff who don't really belong in the elite interactive club sooner,
and guarantee that even fast/light tasks can't dominate the CPU without
paying heavily.

(to close the many fast/light tasks wakeup scenario that the "untested"
patch someone mentioned did, but was shown to be too painful to bare).

	-Mike