Date:	Sun, 15 Apr 2007 09:50:16 -0600
From:	Michal Jaegermann <michal@...pspace.math.ualberta.ca>
To:	Denis Kirjanov <kirjanov@...il.com>
Cc:	Marat Buharov <marat.buharov@...il.com>,
	Marc Donner <Marc.Donner@...-breitband.de>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: 2.6.20.6 vanilla does't boot

On Fri, Apr 13, 2007 at 03:38:18PM +0400, Denis Kirjanov wrote:
> I updated the BIOS to the latest version, but the problem persists.
> Boots option pci = noacpi not solved the problem. Reporting bios bug
> disappears when setting pci = nommconf, But the kernel is still not
> loaded (

On x86_64 hardware using ata_piix I was unable to boot kernels
based on the current 2.6.20.x either.  Regardless of extra kernel
parameters used I was getting consistently 'hdc: lost interrupt',
and/or similar and after something like that the whole machine
was dead.  The only differences were if I could still reboot
from a keyboard or if I really have to pull a plug.

A kernel derived from 2.6.21-rc6-git1 (2.6.20-1.3053.fc7.x86_64 from
Fedora "rawhide" to be more precise) did boot on the hardware in
question, though; but only when I gave it 'acpi=off'.  Without that
parameter it was getting stuck apparently when starting hotplug.
In that kernel case disks were accessed using pata_atiixp driver.

   Michal