Date:	Mon, 16 Apr 2007 23:08:53 -0600
From:	Robert Hancock <hancockr@...w.ca>
To:	"Brian D. McGrew" <brian@...ionpro.com>
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Memory Allocation

Brian D. McGrew wrote:
> Good evening gents!
>
> I need some help in allocating memory and understanding how the system
> allocates memory with physical versus virtual page tables.  Please
> consider the following snippet of code.  Please, no wisecracks about bad
> code; it was written in 30 seconds in haste :-)

(snip)

> My test machine is a Dell Precision 490 with dual 5140 processors and
> 3GB of RAM.  If I reduced kMaxSize to (2048 * 2048 * 236) is works.
> However, I need to allocate an array of char that is (2048 * 2048 * 256)
> and maybe even as large at (2048 * 2048 * 512).
>
> Obviously I have enough physical memory in the box to do this.  However,
> I suspect that I'm running out of page table entries.  Please, correct
> me if I'm wrong; but if I allocate (2048 * 2048 * 236) it work.  When I

Pretty sure you're wrong.

> increment to 256 or 512 it fails and it is my suspicion that I just
> don't have enough more in kernel memory to allocate this much memory in
> user space.

Are you using a 32-bit kernel? If so, most likely you're hitting a limit
of the address space layout - there's just not enough room in the
address space for an allocation of this size.

--
Robert Hancock      Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from hancockr@...pamshaw.ca