Date:	Tue, 01 May 2007 21:53:17 -0700
From:	lkml777@...mail.org
To:	"Edward Shishkin" <edward@...esys.com>
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	"Eric Hopper" <hopper@...ifarious.org>,
	"William Heimbigner" <icxcnika@....tar.cc>,
	"Alex Zarochentsev" <zam@...esys.com>,
	"Andi Kleen" <andi@...stfloor.org>,
	"Rik van Riel" <riel@...hat.com>,
	"Jeff Chua" <jeff.chua.linux@...il.com>
Subject: Re: Question about Reiser4

Hi Edward, it seems that lkml has contacted both of my email accounts
and cripped them.

I can no longer recieve email from lkml on this account.

I can neither recieve or send email to lkml from my other account.

They have also just deleted the 4 emails I sent to lkml from the page
http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/4/30/

This included one to you.

In case you didn't get it,... here it is again.

(Since you still haven't answered this one).

-----------------

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 19:03:12 +0400, "Edward Shishkin"
<edward@...esys.com> said:
> lkml777@...mail.org wrote:
>

> >As I understand it, the default Reiser4 DOES NOT USE any compression at
> >all, not even tail compression,
> >

> ^tail compression^tail conversion
> Reiser4 does use tail conversion by default.
>
> > but saves space by eliminating block
> >alignment wastage (tail compression is an option).
> >
> >So lets LOSE the statistics that involve compression. The results now
> >look like this:
> >
> >.-------------------------.
> >| FILESYSTEM | TIME |DISK |
> >| TYPE       |(secs)|USAGE|
> >.-------------------------.
> >|REISER4     | 3462 | 692 |
> >|EXT2        | 4092 | 816 |
> >|JFS         | 4225 | 806 |
> >|EXT4        | 4408 | 816 |
> >|EXT3        | 4421 | 816 |
> >|XFS         | 4625 | 779 |
> >|REISER3     | 6178 | 793 |
> >|FAT32       |12342 | 988 |
> >|NTFS-3g     |10414 | 772 |
> >.-------------------------.
> >
> >These results are still EXTREMELY GOOD for REISER4.
> >

> Everything is not so simple in the science of testing..
> Would you please change direction of your activity to stressing
> instead of benchmarking? Caught oopses would have great value..
> OK?
>
> Regards,
> Edward.

Tail conversion is NOT compression,....

So what exactly is your point?

By "tail compression" I mean plugin ctail40, but since I was never able
to get it to work, maybe its not tail compression at all.
--

  lkml777@...mail.org

                          unladen european swallow