Date:	Sun, 13 May 2007 14:31:22 +0200
From:	"Alessandro Suardi" <alessandro.suardi@...il.com>
To:	"umesh@...surfer.com.np" <umesh@...surfer.com.np>
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: upgrade linux kernel

On 5/13/07, umesh@...surfer.com.np <umesh@...surfer.com.np> wrote:
> I am upgrading kernel from 2.4.20-8(default in RH9) to 2.6.xx. when I do
> "make" command it gives some output and finally get error saying that,
>
> "BFD: Warning: Writing section '.bss' to huge ( ie negative) file offset
> 0xc0244000. "
>
>  "Objcopy: arch/i386/boot/compressed/vmlinux.bin: file truncated"
>
> "make[2]:***[ arch/i386/boot/compressed/vmlinux.bin] Error 1"
>
>  "make[1]: ***[ arch/i386/boot/compressed/vmlinux] Error 2"
>
>  "make: *** [bzImage] Error 2"

A quick round of googling brings up this

http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0410.3/0205.html

 where the issue was that binutils were too old to compile the
 newer kernels. More generically, RH9 is now really ancient,
 and you'd probably make your life much easier by upgrading
 to more recent distributions.

If you intend to stay on RH9, please have a look at the
 /usr/src/linux/Documentation/Changes file, it will give you
 a first idea of how much stuff you need to upgrade on RH9.

--alessandro

 "Did you get married but forgot to get divorced ?"

     (Danny and Dusty, 'The Good Old Days')