Date:	Sun, 20 May 2007 10:58:36 +0400
From:	Andrey Borzenkov <arvidjaar@...l.ru>
To:	Al Viro <viro@....linux.org.uk>
Cc:	Ray Lee <ray-lk@...rabbit.org>, Uwe Bugla <uwe.bugla@....de>,
	Ken Chen <kenchen@...gle.com>, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	Michal Piotrowski <michal.k.k.piotrowski@...il.com>
Subject: Re: bug in 2.6.22-rc2: loop mount limited to one single iso image

On Sunday 20 May 2007, Al Viro wrote:
> On Sat, May 19, 2007 at 11:16:59PM -0700, Ray Lee wrote:
> > Ken? Ball's in your court. As the patch isn't providing a killer
> > feature for 2.6.22, I'd suggest just reverting it for now until the
> > issues are ironed out.
>
> Hold it.  The real question here is which logics do we want there.
> IOW, and how many device nodes do we want to appear and _when_ do
> we want them to appear?

of course we'd like to use exactly as many (or few) nodes as are in use right
now and without fixed limit for their number; which implies that nodes should
appear and go on as needed basis.

But right now there is no kernel mechanism that user level program could use
to request allocation of new loop node. I won't discuss whether it is
legitimate to mandate new version of util-linux for kernel 2.6.22; but it is
obvious that any kernel patch that adds such mechanism goes far beyond simple
bug fix and is not acceptable at this stage.

So let's revert this change and discuss it for post-2.6.22 timeframe.