Date:	Sun, 20 May 2007 02:52:14 -0700 (PDT)
From:	Trent Piepho <xyzzy@...akeasy.org>
To:	Satyam Sharma <satyam.sharma@...il.com>
cc:	Adrian Bunk <bunk@...sta.de>,
	Sam Ravnborg <sam@...nborg.org>,
	LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	Roman Zippel <zippel@...ux-m68k.org>,
	Kumar Gala <galak@...nel.crashing.org>,
	Simon Horman <horms@...ge.net.au>
Subject: Re: RFC: kconfig select warnings bogus?

On Sun, 20 May 2007, Satyam Sharma wrote:
> On 5/20/07, Adrian Bunk <bunk@...sta.de> wrote:
> > >
> > > ATARI_KBD_CORE, unlike MII, is defined only by some archs. And the
> > > correct (most widely used or standard, in any case) idiom for that is
> > > "default .. if ..". Or perhaps you can convert those helper code options in
> > > arch/.../config's over to select too, as an exercise? :-)
> >
> > Perhaps not as an exercise, but actually for real.
> >
> > We had "fixed" such warnings in the past similar to your patch, but that
> > was actually a mistake.
> >
> > And "correct" can easily be the opposite of "most widely used or standard"
> > if you discover that you did it wrong in the past.
>
> In that case the correct approach here too would be to _shift_
> ATARI_KBD_CORE from arch/m68k/Kconfig to drivers/input/Kconfig
> and *then* use "select" from the config options that require it in
> drivers/input/keyboard/Kconfig and drivers/input/mouse/Kconfig
>
> (and repeat for other such cases in arch/...)

You don't need a huge '||' chain, you can always have more than one default
line:

config ATARI_KBD_CORE
	bool
	default y if KEYBOARD_ATARI
	default y if MOUSE_ATARI

Basically a line "config A \n select B" is transformed into "config B \n
default y if A".  It's the same number of lines, they're just in a new place.

Another alternative would be to shift the arch specific drivers to a file
that's arch specific.  e.g. move MOUSE_ATARI from drivers/input/mouse/Kconfig
to arch/m68k/Kconfig.