Date:	Mon, 21 May 2007 20:08:00 -0400
From:	"Jon Smirl" <jonsmirl@...il.com>
To:	"Jeff Garzik" <jeff@...zik.org>
Cc:	"Dave Airlie" <airlied@...il.com>,
	"Jesse Barnes" <jbarnes@...tuousgeek.org>,
	"Jesse Barnes" <jesse.barnes@...el.com>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	"Antonino A. Daplas" <adaplas@...il.com>,
	"Luc Verhaegen" <libv@...net.be>
Subject: Re: [RFC] enhancing the kernel's graphics subsystem

On 5/21/07, Jeff Garzik <jeff@...zik.org> wrote:
> Jon Smirl wrote:
> > There is a significant group of Linux users who want to be able to
> > login separate users to each screen/head/crtc/output device. These
> > people are concentrated in the third world and don't show up at OLS to
> > argue their case.
> >
> > There is another group that wants Unicode consoles. The people I
> > talked to were from India and Japan.
>
> If these "significant groups" do not bubble up to the surface, nothing
> we can do about that.

You need to take into account that these features have been asked
about for years and we didn't respond. People interested in this have
turned to other solutions.

James Simmons maintained a multi-seat version of the 2.4 kernel for
years that had many happy users. I don't know the details about why it
never got merged. I believe two companies built special multi-head
video hardware for it (Appian and Matrox? it has been a while).

People needing Unicode console support can't speak English. How can
they complain on LKML? Linux is an OS for the world, we really should
make Unicode console work.

--
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl@...il.com