Date:	Sat, 26 May 2007 11:39:28 +0200
From:	Maximilian Engelhardt <maxi@...monizer.de>
To:	Michael Buesch <mb@...sch.de>
Cc:	Uwe Bugla <uwe.bugla@....de>, linux-wireless@...r.kernel.org,
	"linux-kernel" <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
Subject: Re: BUG in 2.6.22-rc2-mm1: NIC module b44.c broken (Broadcom 4400)

On Saturday 26 May 2007, Michael Buesch wrote:
> On Friday 25 May 2007 21:40, Uwe Bugla wrote:

> > > I've been using 2.6.22-rc2 for some time and now I compiled 2.6.22-rc2-
> > > mm1 and both work fine with the BCM4401 in my laptop.
> > >
> > > Maxi
> >
> > Hello Maxi,
> >
> > That may be true for your Laptop, but it unfortunately isn't true for my
> > ASUS mainboard onboard controller.
> >
> > Unfortunately I cannot confirm this:
> >
> > My broadcom 4401 driver is not part of a notebook, but instead part of an
> > ASUS P4PE mainboard.
> >
> > At my second attempt I went the conventional path (i. e. ignoring the
> > fact that
> > "Broadcom 4400 ethernet support appears twice in section "Network device
> > support":
> >
> > Whether you leave out "EISA, VLB, PCI and on board controllers" or not it
> > simply appears twice in kernel config! This is bug number 1.
>
> No it is NOT a bug.
> It simply shows again that you don't know how b44, ssb or anything related
> works.
>
> Would you _please_ take a look at the code, before calling features bugs.
> And yes, this IS a feature. It is a feature to get b44 running on an
> OpenWRT embedded device. These devices don't have a PCI bus. So b44 MUST
> NOT depend on "EISA, VLB, PCI and on board controllers".
> "Broadcom 4400 PCI device support" does depend on "EISA, VLB, PCI and on
> board controllers".
>
> Everything is correct.
> Bug number 1 is solved.
> qed
>
> > This time I do get a "good" interrupt: IRQ 21 for the the device.
> >
> > BUT:
> >
> > Trying to ping another machine fails saying:
> >
> > "destination host unreachable"
> >

> > That means, Although the interrupt is fine now, the device is still not
> > functionable.
>
> And it's completely impossible that you did a mistake when configuring
> the device? Typo in the IP? Typo in the gateway or DNS entries?
> Try it again, please.
> And please try with current wireless-dev tree.
>
> And I simply do not get it why you suddenly get a good IRQ number, like
> everybody else does, without fixing The Bug (tm).

I did run my 2.6.22-rc2-mm1 kernel a bit longer and noticed that I was wrong
in my first mail. The driver does work with my 4401 and network traffic seem
to get out and in fine, but it has huge performance problems. If I do some
pings and traceroutes I sometimes get response times of only a few ms but I
also get times of a few seconds. Also trying to play games is totally
impossible. This doesn't happen with 2.6.22-rc2 and 2.6.22-rc3.

Maxi

Download attachment "signature.asc " of type "application/pgp-signature" (190 bytes)