Date:	Sun, 3 Jun 2007 12:37:25 +0200 (CEST)
From:	Geller Sandor <wildy@...ra.hos.u-szeged.hu>
To:	Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz <bzolnier@...il.com>
cc:	Sergei Shtylyov <sshtylyov@...mvista.com>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, linux-ide@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: HPT374 IDE problem with 2.6.21.* kernels

Hello,

On Sun, 3 Jun 2007, Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:

> Hi,

>>>   Could you try setting HPT374_ALLOW_ATA133_6 to 0 in
>>> drivers/ide/pci/hpt366.c and rebuild/reboot the kernel?
>>

>> Hi Sergei,
>>
>> This looks promising. Using a vanilla 2.6.22-rc3 I was able to reproduce
>> the problem within a few seconds. With the above modification the machine
>> is running under heavy disk I/O without problems since 30 minutes...
>
> Did it fix the problem for good?

It seems so far. There hasn't been any problem since I've applied the fix.

> Sergei, do we need to disallow UDMA6 completely on HPT734 or
> is it only an issue with some problematic devices (=> blacklist)?
>
> Either way we need to fix it somehow for 2.6.22.

For the record: this HTP374 is running with a quite outdated firmware
(1.22) - maybe newer firmwares work correctly. I'm going to upgrade the
firmware to the latest one (which was released in 2004...), but
unfortunately in the upcoming 2-3 weeks I won't have access to this
machine, so I can't check the case within the release cycle of 2.6.22. If
you were interested I would post the result of the firmware upgrade.

Regards,

   Sandor