Date:	Tue, 12 Jun 2007 09:55:17 +0900 (JST)
From:	Tsugikazu Shibata <tshibata@...jp.nec.com>
To:	gregkh@...e.de
Cc:	ms@...d.de, jesper.juhl@...il.com, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	m-ikeda@...jp.nec.com, tshibata@...jp.nec.com
Subject: Re: [RFD] Documentation/HOWTO translated into Japanese

On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 23:07:59 -0700, gregkh wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 10, 2007 at 07:56:52PM +0200, Matthias Schniedermeyer wrote:
> >  Greg KH wrote:
> > > No, I think the translated files should be in the tree proper, we have
> > > the space :)
> >
> >  Frankly i don't see the difference between this and the annual reoccurring
> >  "why can't the kernel messages be localized" discussion.
> >  (Which is a little overdue, but maybe this replaces it this time.)
>
> It is _vastly_ different.
>
> >  I could see the point in ONE "HOWTO" file per language to get people
> >  started, but everything else is a pointless exercise.
> >  A developer/bug-reporter has to be able to express him-/herself in English
> >  and understand English, otherwise you can not accomplish very much.
>
> Yes, but this file, and the stable-api-nonsense.txt files are there to
> help people understand both the kernel's philosophy, as well as
> encourage them to help contribute.
>
> That is totally different from internationalizing the internal kernel
> messages (which, btw, some people are working on...)  That I would not
> agree to as it's just too hard to keep up with and would be pointless in
> a way.
>
> So I really do want to see a translated copy of the HOWTO,
> stable-api-nonsense.txt, and possibly a few other files in the main
> kernel tree (SubmittingPatches, CodingStyle, and SubmittingDrivers might
> all be good canidates for this.)  These files change relativly
> infrequently (the HOWTO file has had only 7 changes in 1 and 1/2 years,
> and they were very minor ones) and should be easy for the translators to
> keep up with.
>
> So, Tsugikazu, care to resend this file as a patch that I can apply to
> the Documentation directory of the kernel tree?  I think it would be
> good to have there.

Here is a patch of Japanese translated HOWTO.
Thank you very much for lots of comment and suggestions.>all
Bellow is what I have done:

- Added Hiroyuki's comment with my own modifications as top notes.
- Character encoding is UTF-8
- The file is put in Documentation/ja_JP
- The patch is attached, not inlined because of MUA will sometimes
  force change the character encoding. Sorry.

I think We may need to discuss with JF team about much better JF
headers (written in Japanese) later.

Thanks,
Tsugikazu Shibata

View attachment "add-japanese-howto.patch" of type "Text/Plain" (33884 bytes)