Date:	Tue, 12 Jun 2007 09:27:49 -0700
From:	Kristen Carlson Accardi <kristen.c.accardi@...el.com>
To:	Jeff Garzik <jeff@...zik.org>
Cc:	Matthew Garrett <mjg59@...f.ucam.org>,
	Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@....eng.br>,
	Arjan van de Ven <arjan@...ux.intel.com>,
	Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker
	<ilmari@...ari.org>, james.bottomley@...eleye.com,
	linux-ide@...r.kernel.org, linux-scsi@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, htejun@...il.com
Subject: Re: [patch 3/3] Enable Aggressive Link Power management for AHCI
 controllers.

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 11:46:56 -0400
Jeff Garzik <jeff@...zik.org> wrote:

> Matthew Garrett wrote:
> >> The new SATA ones use the SATA hardware hotplug ;-)   Just like the pci-e
> >> cards use usb2.0 and pci-e hotplug...
> >
> > Yes, but they'll also send an ACPI interrupt even if the SATA host
> > controller doesn't - it's part of the spec for bays.
>
> Regardless, having a laptop does not imply having a docking bay.
>
> 	Jeff

For bay devices, we can use ACPI just like we do now.  For non-bay devices,
we can implement hotplug via polling when ALPM is enabled.  In my experience
most laptop vendors implement extra drive as either PATA in a dock station,
USB in a dock station, or a bay device either on the dock station, or
on the laptop itself.

Kristen