Date:	Mon, 18 Jun 2007 16:33:57 +1000
From:	Bron Gondwana <brong@...tmail.fm>
To:	Chris Adams <cmadams@...aay.net>
Cc:	Bron Gondwana <brong@...tmail.fm>, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Dual-Licensing Linux Kernel with GPL V2 and GPL V3

On Sun, Jun 17, 2007 at 07:45:38PM -0500, Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, Bron Gondwana <brong@...tmail.fm> said:
> > To be fair here, this could also be accomplished by having to flip a
> > physical switch on the router, especially if you did something funky
> > like:
> >
> > [---] push this button for a 5 minute access pass to upload new
> >       software through physical cable port 1.
> >
> > More complex, but not unreasonable.
>
> Well, there is no restriction on putting files on the routing engine's
> storage devices (flash and hard drive); it is running OpenSSH, so
> scp/sftp work fine, and you can drop to a shell easily.  The restriction
> is that the kernel won't run unsigned binaries.
>
> Also, flipping physical switches is pretty much an unreasonable
> expectation for core router operation.  These are often in other
> locations, sometimes other telcos' central offices (where you have to
> pay to have "remote hands" do something and then hope they don't screw
> it up).  You can easily go the entire life of a device where the primary
> operators never physically see the device.

Every server I run is like that, but if something is important enough I
can remote control a robot over to push the button for me (actually, I
think they implement this under the hood by having a human read the
ticket I submit and go push the button for me manually, but that could
be my imagination.  So long as the button gets pushed the black box is
functioning)

Bron.