Date:	Tue, 19 Jun 2007 21:33:48 -0400
From:	Kyle Moffett <mrmacman_g4@....com>
To:	Jeffrey Hundstad <jeffrey.hundstad@...u.edu>
Cc:	Christoph Lameter <clameter@....com>,
	Thomas Glanzmann <thomas@...nzmann.de>,
	LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: GIT Packages for Debian Etch

On Jun 19, 2007, at 19:37:51, Jeffrey Hundstad wrote:
> I'm just not going to let this go.  Stable is synonymous with, well
> ummm, "stable."  That means that I don't have 3000 changes a month,
> it's secure and the unexpected doesn't happen.  It means I can
> write a lecture explaining how git works.  ...do updates... then
> expect my lecture to still work the next day.  It means writing
> local shell scripts and expecting them to work until the NEXT
> stable release without changes.  It means knowing what things WILL
> break if and when I do go to the next version.
>
> Stable is a CHOICE not a punishment.

With that said; Debian makes it easy to selectively install testing
or unstable packages by adding "testing" or "unstable" to your
sources.list and putting this in /etc/apt/apt.conf:
   APT::Default-Release "stable";

Then all apt-based programs will prefer stable packages everywhere
possible.  If you explicitly run "apt-get install somepackage/
testing", then it will install the testing version of that package
and continue to auto-upgrade it as testing receives updates.

Alternatively, you can "man apt_preferences" and tweak your "/etc/apt/
preferences" file to your heart's content.  This includes things like
"Forcibly downgrade packages to the 'local' version if found in my
local deb repo", "Prefer stable over testing and unstable", etc.

Cheers,
Kyle Moffett