Date:	Thu, 21 Jun 2007 01:23:01 -0300
From:	Alexandre Oliva <aoliva@...hat.com>
To:	"Tomas Neme" <lacrymology@...il.com>
Cc:	"Andrew McKay" <amckay@...rs.ca>,
	"Alan Cox" <alan@...rguk.ukuu.org.uk>,
	"Linus Torvalds" <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>,
	"Al Viro" <viro@....linux.org.uk>,
	"Bernd Schmidt" <bernds_cb1@...nline.de>,
	"Ingo Molnar" <mingo@...e.hu>,
	"Daniel Hazelton" <dhazelton@...er.net>,
	"Greg KH" <greg@...ah.com>,
	"debian developer" <debiandev@...il.com>, david@...g.hm,
	"Tarkan Erimer" <tarkan@...one.net.tr>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	"Andrew Morton" <akpm@...ux-foundation.org>
Subject: Re: Dual-Licensing Linux Kernel with GPL V2 and GPL V3

On Jun 20, 2007, "Tomas Neme" <lacrymology@...il.com> wrote:

>> > However, I don't see how this would ever require a company like Tivo
>> > or Mastercard to have their networks play nice with a unit that has
>> > been modified by the end user, potentially opening up some serious
>> > security holes.
>>
>> Which is why the GPLv3 doesn't make the requirement that you stated.

> Why, if you let user-compiled kernels to run in a TiVo, it might be
> modified so the TiVo can be used to pirate-copy protected content,

And then the user who uses such features in ways not permitted by the
copyright holders are committing a crime.  They can be prosecuted by
the copyright holders and convicted of the crime.

That TiVo can somehow become liable for this just shows how broken the
legal system in the US is.  It's like making a knife manufacturer
liable for a killing using a knife they made, just because the knife
didn't have technical measures intended to prevent the knife from
being used to kill people.

Red Hat Compiler Engineer   aoliva@...dhat.com, gcc.gnu.org}
Free Software Evangelist  oliva@...d.ic.unicamp.br, gnu.org}