Date:	Sat, 23 Jun 2007 00:20:29 -0400
From:	Jeff Garzik <jeff@...zik.org>
To:	Paul Mackerras <paulus@...ba.org>
CC:	Alan Cox <alan@...rguk.ukuu.org.uk>,
	David Woodhouse <dwmw2@...radead.org>,
	Adrian Bunk <bunk@...sta.de>, bzolnier@...il.com,
	linux-ide@...r.kernel.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [RFC: 2.6 patch] schedule BLK_DEV_IDE_SATA for removal

Paul Mackerras wrote:
> Alan Cox writes:
>
>> On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 11:39:45 +0800
>> David Woodhouse <dwmw2@...radead.org> wrote:

>>> NAK. Not all IDE drivers are converted yet. Not even all the relatively
>>> common ones.
>> All the common SATA ones are. Just the PowerPC people are falling behind.
>> Really we should obsolete powerpc instead ;)
>
> What SATA drive uses a non-libata driver on PowerPC?  In fact the
> sata_svw driver used for SATA drives on G5s was one of the early
> libata drivers.  Or are you talking about PATA?

This entire thread is confused :)

Going back to $subject, it is relevant only to the scant few old-IDE
drivers that do indeed successfully probe and talk to SATA drives, from
SATA controllers.

The vast majority have always used libata for SATA, but another option
did indeed exist before libata appeared, for a few controllers.

Alan was just having a bit of fun at dwmw2's expense, since we do indeed
want to see libata drivers for PowerPC PATA as well :)

	Jeff