Date:	Wed, 27 Jun 2007 03:39:03 +0200
From:	Nick Piggin <npiggin@...e.de>
To:	Randy Dunlap <randy.dunlap@...cle.com>
Cc:	Andrew Morton <akpm@...ux-foundation.org>,
	Dave Kleikamp <shaggy@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>,
	Adrian Bunk <bunk@...sta.de>, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [-mm patch] remove nobh_{prepare,commit}_write()

On Tue, Jun 26, 2007 at 02:33:35PM -0700, Randy Dunlap wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 14:23:20 -0700 Andrew Morton wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 15:48:58 -0500
> > Dave Kleikamp <shaggy@...ux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:

> > > They were removed with Nick's new aops patches.
> >            ^secretly
> > >

> > That much I worked out for myself.  It's kinda staggering that a fairly
> > major feature in two fairly major filesystems got removed without even a
> > mention in the changelog.  I don't recall having seen it discussed in email
> > but I obviously missed that bit.
> >
> > Look, I'm one micron from just dropping the whole lot.  These changes
> > simply have not received the amount of energy, effort, care, attention and
> > testing which a change of this magnitude requires.
>
> so be sure to discuss that (not the patches themselves so much,
> but the process(es)) at the kernel summit etc....

I did of course mention that nobh wasn't converted when sending the
patches.

I asked for comments about how much it is used in real world. Badari
was the only one who replied about that but we didn't reach a conclusion.

I don't know about energy, but I have seen lots of other patches cause
a lot more problems...