Date:	Sun, 8 Jul 2007 19:32:49 -0500 (CDT)
From:	Bruce Allen <ballen@...vity.phys.uwm.edu>
To:	Mark Lord <liml@....ca>, David Greaves <david@...eaves.com>,
	Douglas Gilbert <dougg@...que.net>,
	Tejun Heo <htejun@...il.com>,
	Alan Cox <alan@...rguk.ukuu.org.uk>,
	Jeff Garzik <jeff@...zik.org>,
cc:	Jan Dvorak <fermentol@...il.com>,
	Smartmontools Mailing List
	<smartmontools-support@...ts.sourceforge.net>,
	Klaus Fuerstberger <kfuerstberger@...or.de>,
	Bruce Allen <bruce.allen@....mpg.de>
Subject: SMART problems in 2.6.22

Mark, David, Doug, Tejin, Alan, Jeff, LKML,

I'm afraid that there may be some problem with SMART + libata in the
2.6.22 kernel.  An hour ago I discovered that I missed a month of
correspondence (some LKML, some private) about this problem which Alan,
Tejun, Jeff, Mark and others copied to me -- it was automatically shoved
into one of my mailboxes by my mail client.  Sorry about that.  So I am
trying to catch up to see if there is some real problem or not.

Here is a typical bug report that worries me:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.utilities.smartmontools/4712

Here is another similar report:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.utilities.smartmontools/4713

And another report:
http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org/msg358354.html

>From some of the earlier threads that I missed (below) I have the
impression that the problem may be a very simple one, namely that starting
with 2.6.22 one needs to run a command to enable SMART when a box is first
booted -- the kernel no longer does this as part of the init/setup of the
disks. But that is NOT consistent with the first two reports above, which
show 'SMART ENABLED'.

Here are some of the earlier threads that I completely missed:

http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0706.1/0849.html
http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org/msg164863.html

Before I go off half-cocked, could anyone shed some light on this?  Is
there a real problem here or just something dumb?

Cheers,
 	Bruce