Date:	Fri, 13 Jul 2007 20:54:22 -0400
From:	William Montgomery <william@...nicus.com>
To:	"Kok, Auke" <auke-jan.h.kok@...el.com>
CC:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: e100 PCI bridge problem

Kok, Auke wrote:

> William Montgomery wrote:
>
>> Thanks for responding.  I am very interested to find the source of
>> this problem.
>>
>> Kok, Auke wrote:

>>> sounds like int-A/B/C/D routing issues
>>

>> The strange thing is that all the ports on the card work fine for a
>> few minutes, then when some condition (as yet unknown) occurs the
>> system locks up hard.  I am currently using a PCI bus analyzer to
>> capture bus activity just prior to the lockup to try and find out
>> what leads up to this condition.
>

> are you running any form of irqbalance, either in-kernel (bad) or the
> userspace (better) one?

No.  This is a Pentium 4 - single core, 2.8GHz.

>>> this issue might be resolvable by quirking the bridgee chips and
>>> adjusting any APIC where needed. Unfortunately I don't know much
>>> about this but it's physically not possible from the e100 driver.
>>> The special (non-intel) card that has these 4 ports onboard contains
>>> a bridge chip itself which explains the issues. Even a BIOS issue
>>> could be the cause here.
>>

>> I am aware of the bridge chip on the card but not sure what you mean
>> when you say this explains the issues?  I sure would like to figure
>> out a way around this.
>

> irq routing in linux may not be the same as in windows. I have no idea
> how to compare them either (dmesg will show the linux setup, but I
> don't know how to retreive this info under linux).

Not sure how windows applies here; I only use Linux.  The main data
point so far is that the card works fine when on the primary PCI bus but
locks up hard after a few minutes when installed in a slot behind a PCI
to PCI bridge.  I can provide the dmesg info on Monday.