Date:	Sun, 15 Jul 2007 14:00:29 -0700
From:	Jonathan Campbell <jon@...dgrounds.com>
To:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
CC:	torvalds@...nsmeta.com
Subject: Patches for REALLY TINY 386 kernels

I wrote a set of patches out of concern that even if you compile a 386
kernel a lot of code irrelevent to legacy machines still remains. Things
like the Pentium TSC register, DMI information, ESCD parsing, and the
use of CPUID do not apply to these machines, but looking at System.map
you can see they're still there.

Already with these patches I can compile a zImage kernel that is 450kb
large (890kb decompressed) with a small initramfs payload, floppy and
kernel module support, FPU emulation, that can successfully boot on an
ancient 386 laptop with only 1MB of extended memory. Eventually what I'd
like to have is the ability to compile a pure 386 kernel with all
non-386 functions removed (and perhaps the same for 486 machines).

These patches were written against the vanilla 2.6.21.1 kernel. They
will have no effect UNLESS you make menuconfig and explicitly enable
them there.

View attachment "linux-2.6.21.1-386-reduction.patches" of type "text/plain" (204463 bytes)