Date:	Sat, 28 Jul 2007 10:32:47 -0600
From:	Robert Hancock <hancockr@...w.ca>
To:	Al Boldi <a1426z@...ab.com>
Cc:	Chris Snook <csnook@...hat.com>, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-mm@...ck.org
Subject: Re: How can we make page replacement smarter (was: swap-prefetch)

Al Boldi wrote:
> Chris Snook wrote:
>> Al Boldi wrote:
>>> Because it is hard to quantify the expected swap-in speed for random
>>> pages, let's first tackle the swap-in of consecutive pages, which should
>>> be at least as fast as swap-out.  So again, why is swap-in so slow?
>> If I'm writing 20 pages to swap, I can find a suitable chunk of swap and
>> write them all in one place.  If I'm reading 20 pages from swap, they
>> could be anywhere.  Also, writes get buffered at one or more layers of
>> hardware.
>
> Ok, this explains swap-in of random pages.  Makes sense, but it doesn't
> explain the awful tmpfs performance degradation of consecutive read-in runs
> from swap, which should have at least stayed constant
>
>> At best, reads can be read-ahead and cached, which is why
>> sequential swap-in sucks less.  On-demand reads are as expensive as I/O
>> can get.
>
> Which means that it should be at least as fast as swap-out, even faster
> because write to disk is usually slower than read on modern disks.  But
> linux currently shows a distinct 2x slowdown for sequential swap-in wrt
> swap-out.  And to prove this point, just try suspend to disk where you can
> see sequential swap-out being reported at about twice the speed of
> sequential swap-in on resume.  Why is that?

Depends if swap-in is doing any read-ahead. If it's reading one page at
a time in from the disk then the performance will definitely suck
because of all the overhead from the tiny I/O's. With random swap-in you
then pay the horrible seek penalty for all the reads as well.

--
Robert Hancock      Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from hancockr@...pamshaw.ca